Deaf/Hard of Hearing
SCUSD Deaf/Hard of Hearing Program
Santa Clara Unified School district offers a regional Deaf/Hard of Hearing program for students in preschool through fifth grade at Haman Elementary as well as Itinerent services for students in Transitional Kindergarten to High School who qualify for special education services under the eligibility of hearing impairment.
The SCUSD Hard of Hearing Program educates children from school districts throughout Santa Clara County. For over 50 years, the program has been successfully educating deaf and hard of hearing children using auditory/oral methods. The program is designed to minimize the effects of hearing loss and maximize the skills necessary for students to function independently. A complete academic curriculum is provided with emphasis on speech, language and auditory skills.
The following services may be available via the IEP process and determined by student needs:
- Deaf/Hard of Hearing Services
- Individual & Small Group Instruction
- Speech & Language Therapy
- Audiological Consultation
- Counseling & Referral Services
- Occupational Therapy
- Assistive Listening Devices (FM)
- Classroom Adaptations/Modifications
- Transportation (as provided by home district)
Our staff consists of fully credentialed, highly qualified, experienced professionals with training in listening, language, speech development and education of children who are deaf and hard of hearing.
- Preschool TOD/HH- Reyna Reynolds
- TK-2 TOD/HH- Jennifer Devine
- 3-5 TOD/HH- Angela Oktaymen
- Itinerent TOD/HH- Karen Copp
- Itinerent TOD/HH- Heidi Knutson
- Speech/Language- Kathy Brilliante
- Educational Audiologist- Kristen Toole
- Program Specialist-
- School Psychologist- Allison Qian Wang
- Student Referrals- Kimberly Wakefield firstname.lastname@example.org or 408-423-1401
What Parents Are Saying...
"The staff helped to educate us, encouraged us to advocate for our children, connected us with other families to hear their stories, and helped prepare us for taking our children into our local mainstream schools." (Parent of a kindergarten student)
"The program had a huge impact on our daughter both academically and socially." (Parent of a second grade student)
"The staff is very competent and go out of their way to keep parents well informed regarding their child's progress." (Parent of a fourth grade student)